Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Faculty Art Show

For starters I am not a fan of art museums or any museums of any kind unless they are truly interesting or weird, for example Madame Tussauds happens to be one of my favorite museums. Why? Um hello...your favorite celebrities that you have been dying to meet since you were little are all in one big building...but in wax form. When I was a senior in high school, we took a field trip to MoMa(Museum of Modern Art) and that was the worst thing I ever had to experience. I am not a fan of modern art at all because most of the time I find myself saying the same things in my head, "what is it?" and "I don't get it". Long story short, I should have stayed home that day because I was so bored the entire trip, nothing really spoke to me or caught my eye and every since that experience of going to MoMa I never wanted to return to any kind of art gallery, but I will say that I am very happy I took the time out of my day to attend the faculty art show held on campus today.  I was very intrigued at how talented each artist and photographer was and it almost made me a little envious. I won't talk about which piece was my favorite and which was my least favorite but instead I'll briefly explain how and why certain pieces caught my attention. For starters "Blue Lagoon" by Victoria Pendzick was unique not only because the whole photo was blue( favorite color) but because at first I saw these abstract figures that I thought was water or maybe grass, as I stepped back my eyes focused in on what the whole photo was; the torso of a mans body laying down which was pretty cool. The next piece that caught my eye was "Rainbow Highway" and "Jellyfish" by Allen Keener. I loved the vibrant colors that were brought out along with how both images seemed abstract, when you look at the images first and then the title you're unaware of what the image is which was very unique. I feel like I can relate to Joan Larson Wozniak and her piece, "Into the Garden" because I personally love portraits of people in these almost fantasy like environments and also the photograph was in black and white which makes it even more dramatic. I was really pulled into John Cyr's photographs especially "Developer Tray from the Photo History Collection of Smithsonian's National Museum of American History" along with "Barbara Mensch's Developer Tray" because both were vibrantly colored and you can almost tell how each photographer worked either neat or messy just by looking at their developing trays and how the black background in all of them really made them stand out made the whole collection pretty dope. Finally the last piece that was really eye catching was "Red Converse High Tops" by Harold Naideau. I actually got to speak with him about how he created his photographs and the process he explained was pretty fascinating. Basically he placed his subjects on a scanner and scanned them in where they were printed on wood. The fact that he used some type of object that's not supposed to be used as a camera to create his photographs was insane. Overall this was a cool thing to experience and I definitely would like to attend another photography based art show.

No comments:

Post a Comment